Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Today for fun...............

Today for fun I.............melted records! It was big fun.

Hannah's room has a overall music theme so I thought a couple of these record bowls would be cool on her counter for whatever.

So off I went to the local Good Will Store. Which is a whole other fun topic. Just like a garage sale without the garage and having to go out at the crack of dawn on Saturday morning. Any whooo, I found 4 records in superb condition for the bargain price of $2.77. I promise you no one and I mean no one had any interest in listening to these.

1. Preheated the oven to 200 degrees.
2. I used a measuring cup upside down to place the record on. A Pyrex one of course since it's going in the oven. Any heat resistant bowl would work well too.
3. Placed the whole thing on a cookie sheet and slid it in the oven. The info I read said the record would melt between 4 and 6 minutes.
4. WATCH your records! Mine melted in 2 minutes. You don't want a burnt record in your oven. I'm sure the stench from that would be lovely, possibly toxic. I didn't notice any fumes at all.
5. Once it flopped over the cup I took it out and with oven glove thingys on I helped the record shape nicely over the cup. It cools quickly so you don't have a lot of time to shape your record.
6. It cooled in a minute or so and whaaa la. A record bowl.

I read that you need to be sure your records are older. Newer records are made differently and I spose and don't melt as nice as the old vinyl ones. Mine were all early 80's.
This is the record bowl I kept for myself. A great notepad and calculator holder for my desk. This was easier than easy. Great gift for any music lover with a touch of handmade-ness. Just make sure your not melting any one's prized vinyl collection.

It has come to my attention that some people think this is the worst idea in the world. Some claim that melting records releases chemicals into the air and also coats your oven with these terrible chemicals. I have searched for some hard evidence of that and didn't come up with much. If you are sensitive to this kind of thing, by all means DON'T do it. I for one am not overly concerned about it. One day I'm going to die, I doubt it will be from melting 4 records in my oven. Please don't take this as me being ugly to those who are concerned about their air quality. I just wanted to add in this disclaimer for those who might be.

Share

2 comments:

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

I always wondered how people made those...thanks for sharing the technique. They came out great!

Abby said...

That looks pretty cool! Care to do a tutorial for me on Steals and Deals for me some time for me on how to do those? Email me

ajcmeyer AT go DOT com