Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Crayon Shaving Shamrocks - "How To"

We have all done this at some point in our lives. I remember doing it in grade school more than once. It doesn't take a crafting genius but the kids think it's fun. So do I!

You'll need:

wax paper




a paper bag



Cheap sharpener.

An assistant.

1. I cut up a paper grocery bag and used that for protection under and over my layers of wax paper. You don't want wax on your iron or ironing board. Keep your crayon shavings away from the edges of your wax paper and you shouldn't have a problem.

2. Layer paper bag then wax paper.

3. Peel the paper off your crayon and sharpen away.

4. Spread out your crayon shavings, layer another sheet of wax paper, then a layer of paper sack.

5. With a warm iron make a couple of passes then check your progress. It doesn't take much heat to melt the crayon.

6. Let it cool a bit.

7. Trace your shape with sharpie.

8. Cut out.

This photo shows the result of a lot of crayon shavings.

Less crayon shavings.

This one is the result of less crayon shavings.

We just taped our shamrocks to the back door.

You could punch holes and hang them with string too.

Here is the shamrock template I used. Print it different sizes for a variety of shamrocks.

Easy peasy.



MooreMagnets said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! I will definitely have to do this one with my little guy!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh I rememeber this project, I loved it! I actually think I might do it myself this year, lol. So much fun! Thanks for the tute, I'm working on a Roundup of kid's crafts for St. Patrick's Day and I'll be linking.

Joh said...

My mom teaches nursery school and she's definitely done this before. It's wonderful! Your "assistant" is adorable!!! :)

Bejeweled said...

You must have gone to a way cooler grade school than me ... we never did cool shamrocks! LOL!

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I am going to have to try this!

Creative Coquette said...

OMG! I totally remember doing that when I was little. The smell of melted crayons just came straight to me....Mmmmmmmm...memories :)

Christine said...

Cute idea! I wish I had an assistant, but I only have cats. Haha

♥ xtine

Cat said...

Pretty, Pretty!!

Janet said...

Oh! I remember doing this as a child and I have wanted to do it sense but could not remember how! Thanks so much! I'm going to do this with my little "assistants!"

kiddlebug said...

Cool! Love it.

Anonymous said...

good day fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for that exact model. The prices for the velcros are approximately 170 dollars on every site. But definitively I found this location selling them for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for that singular brand. The prices for the boots were all over 340 bucks everwhere. But completely I found this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you say about it?

乾煎白鯧Sam said...

That's actually really cool!亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,