Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"How To" Smoosh A Bottle Cap

So you wanna smoosh a bottle cap so you can make pendants.

Like this one.

You'll need:
A heat gun or in my case an old funky hairdryer
Bottle caps, of course, Un-pressed or not used
Something with a sharp point. I use a bead reamer that I bent on accident.
Your cheap jewelry tools. I wouldn't use your nice ones for this.

A hammer
A mat- I use one of those self healing cutting mats intended for scrap booking.

Alrighty then. We are going to remove that plastic seal in the bottle cap. When you smoosh the cap you have less room to work with so we are going to make a little more by taking this out.
Grab your bottle cap with your pliers and heat that baby up with your hair dryer. Make it hot.

Carefully take your sharp instrument and peel back the plastic. Once I get it started good I grab hold of it with my pliers and pull. pull, pull. Some are harder than others. Sometimes it takes a second or third round of heating. Be careful! It's hot and don't stab yourself!


Here they are without those plastic seals.

Stop, hammer time. Oh, I crack myself up.
Place your bottle cap under the edge of your mat. I have tried placing them face up and face down. I prefer face up. It works both ways.

Hammer away with medium hammer force around the cap.

Check your progress. If you get to carried away it makes the center of the cap dome. You don't want that. You want a nice flat cap to work with. This one needs a few more wacks.

Two smooshed bottle caps ready for some serious crafting.


Now you can craft up something like this.

As with all my "How To" projects if you use it, try it, love it, I want to know alllll about it.
Share

17 comments:

Vanessa said...

I love all your creations! In fact, i'm off to browse!

Uniflame said...

You are so creative!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Great technique, I'll be linking.

ABCDErica said...

That's such a great idea!

Dirt. said...

i must admit, i snorted a little bit. hammertime... ha! great tutorial!

Stephanie said...

I have been wanting to make a magnetic chore chart out of bottle caps, but didn't know how to do this step. I love it! Once I get it together, I will certainly link back to you when I show off the finished work. :) Thanks!

HanamiGallery said...

so creative! these are really cute and such a great idea~

ElegantSnobbery said...

Thanks for showing us! I'm going to have to add that to my list of things I want to try!

Annie Pazoo said...

Love, love, love it! Thanks for the tutorial. :-) Found you via One Pretty Thing!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I love this! I have played around with bottle caps, but have refrained from certain crafts because they are to dimensional. This is the perfect tip! Thank you!
Rebecca
RootsAndWingsCo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You are my new best friend! I have been trying to figure out the best way to do this since FOREVER... and you just showed me!!!!!

Cat said...

Hee Hee...Hammer Time...Hee Hee! ALso, if you have an old school Sizzix, it smooshes bottle caps really easily as well. You just have to make sure the edges are pointed up not down, or it will get stuck in the plastic mat.

Jennifer's Craft Store said...

I am soooo glad I'm following your blog! You're witty...fun reading material. Thank you so much for sharing all this with the world!

Kirsten Ashley said...

Thanks you for the tutorial! I've been collecting bottle caps for a project like this to make pendants out of my art, but wasn't sure on all the specifics.

Anonymous said...

What are the things you used instead of a jump ring?

the edwards said...

Thanks for having just the tip I wanted, just when i wanted it!

Mindy said...

Oooh, thanks for the tip! I've been wanting to try this for a while! :)