Monday, October 25, 2010

Tres Leches Cake


I had never heard of Tres Leches Cake(three-milk cake) until my big girl came home one day last week raving about it. She said "Mom, we have to figure out how to make this!".
So I did.

It's a creamy cake soaked in three kinds of milk and generally topped with a whipped topping and/or fruit. Go HERE or HERE for the recipe. There are scads of different opinions on this cake and what makes it taste the best. The cake recipe is essentially the same. Follow a recipe and make your cake.

I used sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and half & half for my milk mixture.

I was afraid of the amount of liquid in relation to the thickness of my cake so I went with 3 1/2 cups(recipes vary). Using the whole cans of evaporated and sweetened condensed milk then topping off with half & half to equal 3 1/2 cups. Poked holes in my cake with a fork, 10 minutes after I pulled it from the oven. Poured on my milk mixture. Let set in the fridge for 2 hours minimum before sampling.

I'm a fan.
I drizzled a little dulce de leche sauce over this piece with a bit of whipped cream.
*sigh

It is not overly sweet and I'd say you need to like milk at least a little to appreciate this cake. Since this is my first Tres Leches Cake experience I have nothing to compare it to but I would certainly make it again. I do wonder what it would be like using a boxed cake mix. Anyone ever try it?

mmm button
Share

3 comments:

gretchen said...

it looks yummy! i've always wanted to try making this and have put it off far too long...

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I am from Texas and that is a very popular cake around here. In fact, Duncan Hines makes a Tres Leches cake mix.

http://www.duncanhines.com/products/cakes/moist-deluxe-tres-leche-cake-mix

We like it with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.

Yours looks so good!!

Heather Ozee said...

Hi! I made the pumpkin pecan rolls for a church event. They were a hit. Thanks!!