Sunday, November 7, 2010

Apples & Oatmeal

Two of my favorite things. Apples & Oatmeal.
I have just started eating baked apples. In the past I would not touch an apple pie with a 10 foot pole. I'm not sure what my problem was because I had been missing out for quite a number of years.

This is a quick recipe that I tweaked.

3-4 medium sized apples - peeled, cored, and chopped
1/3 cup of oats (old fashioned is best but not essential)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter

Mix all together coating all the apples with the oats, sugar, and butter.
Bake in a covered dish on 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
The cooking time can be adjusted depending on how soft you like your apples.
I personally think a firm crisp apple always bakes better. Today I used Braeburn apples, my favorite right after Honeycrisp.

Here they are right out of the oven.

Let them cool for a few minutes, top with a dollop of whipped cream, gobble up.
Next time you can be sure I'll have some walnuts around here to throw into the mix.

mmm button

No comments: