Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Buttermilk Pie Showdown

Buttermilk pie is so simple and so weird.
Weird because most people don't know that buttermilk can make a tasty custard like pie. I find buttermilk quite gross poured right out of the container. It's thick and somewhat unpleasant smelling. It makes me think of my Grandpa, who liked to mix it in a cup with cornbread then eat with a spoon. Us kids used to watch him in horror. Ahhhh, good times.

This was a buttermilk pie taste test. I made two in the same day so we could pick a winner.

Recipe #1

3 eggs
1 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter(melted)
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 9" pie shell(unbaked)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Beat eggs slightly then add sugar and flour.
Now add butter and mix well.
Last add buttermilk and vanilla.
Mix together well.

Dust pie shell with a bit of flour, pour batter into shell, sprinkle a little more flour on the top.

Bake at 325 until the custard is set or a knife comes out clean. Approximately 1 hour.

Recipe #2

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup baking mix
1/3 cup butter(melted)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9" pie plate.

Mix all the ingredients together.
Once mixed well and smooth poor into your pie plate. That's right, no crust.

Bake until a knife comes out clean about 30-40 minutes.

Let cool before you try.

Pie #1

Was my clear favorite. I like the crust and the custard was not two sweet. The texture was right, firm and creamy. Extra yum chilled, right out of the fridge.

Hubs likes the crust and the texture.

Pie # 2
(no photos of the crustless pie. It looked identical, minus crust!)

I found that I missed the crust, not what I expected. It was a little to sweet, I know, strange words. The texture was a little off for me, I'm suspecting the baking mix.

This was hub's favorite with the exception of crust. He missed it too.

The kids didn't have a favorite.
The boys weren't sure they liked it at all. One of them said "Mom, it's a little ok".
My big girl has ate a few pieces but hasn't picked a clear winner.

Over all I think the keeper recipe is #1. Maybe with a little sugar tweek to make it a smidge sweeter(to make a certain someone happy). I did sprinkle cinnamon on the top of both pies. Lots of buttermilk pies call for cinnamon or nutmeg for a little flavor.

Whip up a buttermilk pie. It will make you happy. It will make you think of vanilla custard or even creme brule, with a little imagination(which is my absolute favorite dessert ever).
By the way, buttermilk is low in fat!

PhotobucketJoin  us Saturdays at for the weekend      wrap    up           party!



Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too said...

Now I am gonna have to try this! Sounds really good & the photos look so yummy. Love for you to link this up over at Wiccan Make Some Too's Wickedly Crafty Saturdays!

smilemonsters said...

I would love to Beth. If you try the pie let me know what you think.


Aiming4Simple said...

Interesting. I usually don't buy buttermilk, but you may have convinced me to try a variation of these pies. Maybe with blueberries?

Regina said...

OMGOSH...thank you two times. One for sharing this with us and two for bringing back a long lost memory of my great grandmother. She use to love to make buttermilk pies and we LOVED them. Ummmmm, I also love to eat cornbread and buttermilk..LOL
(TIP: buttermilk is a wonderful healer for mouth ulcers)

So happy I am in Beth's Wiccan Make Some Too Wickedly Crafty Saturday Party.


Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too said...

Thanks for stopping by & linking this to Wickedly Crafty Saturdays! Got me a hankering for some pie!

Patricia L said...

I'm going to have to try this! Found you @ Wickedly Crafty Saturdays.

Mrs.B said...

Buttermilk pie is awesome!

Pickled Pink said...

I can't wait to try it/them…I think I might make these as my contribution to my mother-in-law's Thanksgiving dinner, this year! Thank you.

Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too said...

Made the pie this morning. But like an idiot I was not paying attention & grabbed a graham cracker crust at the store. I got home & realized what I had done & figured what the heck try it anyway. I am so glad I screwed up. It is delightful with the graham cracker crust. The crust swelled up & became one with the bottom part of the pie. Oh it is heavenly! I will be posting it soon & will send you a link.