Saturday, November 13, 2010

Paper Ornaments

Let's make one of these.

I started with 2" strips of scrap booking paper.
I then glued 2 strips together to get a 2 sided, different pattern on each side strip. Inked the edges, of course.
You will need:
2 - 12" strips
2 - 9 1/2" strips
2 - 8" strips
1 - 7" strip
7 strips in all.

Gather up your strips.
7" strip in the middle then shortest to longest on each side of the 7" strip.
Get em' all even at one end and glue each strip to each other.
Secure with a clip or clamp of some kind until the glue dries.
Now, bring the other ends even with the shortest strip(7" strip) glue all those together.

It should look like this.
Let the glue dry. Your going to put a eyelet on each end and that will hold things together so your glue doesn't have to be super strength.

Small eyelets found in the sewing section. Grab the little tool that puts them together too.

You will have to make a hole to fit your eyelet through.
I'm not gonna lie, it was a pain in the rear. My double sided strips all stacked and glued were pretty thick. So I drug out the power tools, yep, drilled a hole for the eyelet with my Craftsman drill. Fit your eyelet through on one side, place the top(I think they call it a washer) on the other side. Use your little eyelet tool and hammer to whack them together.
Whewww got that done. Now, do it on the other end.
I wanted my ornaments to swivel. I marched myself to the fishing section for these. They are called barrel swivels. Now my ornaments will twist and turn.

Finished product.

These were harder to take photos of than I anticipated.

Taaa daaaaaa.

All projects are trial and error, live and learn, right?!

Here is what I learned for next time......
1. I'll take myself to the craft store and find some pretty 2 sided paper. I liked the idea of having 2 sided strips in matching patterns but random placement. It was to time consuming, hard to drill through, almost to thick for the eyelet.

YOU can adjust the measurements to get smaller or larger ornaments.
Play around with it and see what ya get.

I will be linking up to THESE fantastic linky parties.


Jennifer said...

I LOVE these! I'm making most of my own ornaments this year, and giving them as gifts, and I'm definitely bookmarking this one.

Beth @ Wiccan Make Some Too said...

Very pretty. Love the swivel action. Sweet idea!

Lorie said...

That is just the tutorial I needed for the garland! Thanks!

megan @ homemade ginger said...

love this. I've been looking for homemade ornament project for this year!

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Jo these are fantastic! I can't wait to try making them!

Sandy Ang said...

These look so stylish and fab !

Jenna said...

Love it!! I was just looking for some ideas to have something hanging from my dining room chandelier! I just need to go buy some pretty Christmas paper now!! Thanks!!

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

These are gorgeous! I'm making a collection of paper ornaments and these are definitely on my to-do list!

Rose :: said...

Thanks for this great tutorial. I love your ideas.

OK. I am inspired to invite you to come link up with us, so our readers can love you too:

Every Wednesday there will be a new party, so bookmark our home page and you can come back over and over again with great ideas and tutorials.

We look forward to showing your work.

Have a happy day!

Ellie said...

These are great! I'm going to try them! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jami said...

Oh how I love these! The brown and the teal are especially calling my name.

Etcetorize said...

These are so pretty! I just bought a new drill this weekend, I don't know if I ever would've thought to use it on a paper craft, but at least now I know I can if I have to~

Blogging by Pictures said...

love it!
i'm your newest follower!

April said...

Love it! I'll be making some of these!

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

I love this! Wish I had some more time these holidays and I'd make some....maybe next year.

Melissa said...

Thank you for this tutorial. Too late for Christmas, but the paper you used is beautiful. Have you heard of a crop-a-dile in the scrapbooking section? I think you might like it for these endeavors. I'm going to use it for the paper hearts too. I'm now a follower! :)