Sunday, December 12, 2010

I LoveToffee

I love toffee. It's tied in first place with fudge as my holiday sweet favorite.

Saturday morning I made some yummy, buttery toffee.

Butter Toffee

1 pound(2 cups) butter
2 cups sugar
6 Tablespoons(3 ounces) water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt

Here is where your opinion and taste come in:

Chocolate - some kind of chocolate for baking. Some just use semi-sweet chocolate chips, semi sweet baking squares, chocolate for coating, you pick what your taste buds like. The amount is also up to you.

Nuts - again, pick what you like.

You will need a candy thermometer and time. Don't rush the cooking of the toffee. If you are potty training a kid or have a new puppy now may not be the time to make toffee.


Parchment paper will come in handy. If you don't use parchment paper in your kitchen, try it, it will change your life. HERE are a few tips.

Prep is key.
Once you have all your ingredients and tools together:

1. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Chop your nuts and chocolate as fine or course as you like.
3. Spread on your parchment lined sheet.
4. In an appropriate size pan throw in your butter, sugar, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
5. Clip your candy thermometer on the side of your pan. Your going to cook until it reaches 295-300 degrees. This takes time. Don't get ants in your pants and turn up the heat. Leave it at a medium temperature and stir.

Stir, stir, stir.
When you hit about 250 degrees it will get thick and start to turn a yummy caramel color.

6. Once you reach 295-300 degrees(I go to almost 300) remove from heat, stir in vanilla, then pour over your nuts and chocolate.
7. Spread out the toffee to the edges.
8. Let it cool, refrigerate for about an hour.
9. Break into chunks, keeping the small ones for popping in your mouth.

I used walnuts because they are my favorite and semi-sweet baking chocolate squares(chopped) because I had them in the pantry.

I used to be scared of candy.
Follow directions and learn as you go.
It's not so hard.

I'll be linking up to these fab blogs.....

PhotobucketThe Girl Creative
Photobucket



and THESE too.


Share

11 comments:

LifeOfOurs said...

Fantastic post. I'm going to try this tomorrow. I've never attempted to make candy before, so we'll see how this goes. Thanks for the great detailed instructions. :D

smilemonsters said...

Let me know how the candy making goes!

Jo @ smileMonsters

Nicole said...

I came over from remodelaholic, silly as this may sound but I have never thought of putting the chocolate and nuts on the bottom. What a great way to get it all a little mixed in! Thanks I will be sure to try it the next time I make toffee.

Tricia said...

I love Holiday Candy, and toffee is definitely high up on my list of holiday favorites. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks fantastic.

I'd love it if you came and linked up your recipe at my Holiday Recipe Link Party.


http://leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com/p/holiday-recipe-link-party.html

Kristen said...

I can just imagine how wonderful that is. So rich, buttery and wonderful!!! I am afraid I would eat a whole batch all by myself.

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! This looks heavenly! I LOOOOVE toffee so I'm so going to make this. (I made toffee fudge this weekend - to die for!!!)

LocalFunForKids said...

That looks amazing! You should add it to my *Holiday Cookie & Sweet Exchange Blog Hop*

Kristin said...

I think I could eat a whole plate of that myself! Poppin' over from the virtual cookie hop!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

This looks SO good! I love the swirls of chocolate in there. Thank you so much for linking up to Homemade Christmas!

Tricia said...

I featured you today on my blog. This toffee looks so fantastic.

http://leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com/2010/12/holiday-recipe-round-up.html

Jenny said...

Me and my big booty never needed to know this recipe! We LOVE toffee! Hopping over from Beyond the Picket Fence.

Jenny