Friday, January 7, 2011

Ginger Ale Carrots

I love carrots.

For a holiday dinner I was looking for an alternative to sweet potatoes to add to the menu. Sweet potatoes are great. I prefer them not smothered in sugar and marshmallows though. So super sweet smothered potatoes for those who like them and glazed carrots for the rest of us.

Ginger Ale Glazed Carrots

1 lb. carrots
1 ounce butter
1 pinch salt
1 cup ginger ale
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1. Wash and peel your carrots, if needed. I bought baby carrots.

2. In a saute pan over medium heat, combine carrots, butter, salt, and ginger ale.

3. Cover and bring to a simmer

4. Once simmering, remove the lid, stir, and reduce the heat to low.

5. Simmer and stir until they are cooked to your liking. I like them a little firm. You will need to keep the heat low so that your ginger ale doesn't cook out before your carrots are fully cooked. So in other words, don't rush them.

6. Add your chili powder and toss. Cook until your liquid has reduced to a glaze.

These were yummy and disappeared. They are a little spicy due to the chili powder. If these are for the kiddos they would be yummy sans chili powder and more kid friendly.

I happened to catch Dr. Oz on TV saying that cooked carrots are better for you then raw the other day. Something about the beta carotene and absorbing it, google it!


1 comment:

Regina @ ChalkInMyPocket said...

These look fantastic, thanks for the recipe. I have a few bottles of Ginger-Ale from Whole Foods that has a bit too much kick for drinking - I bet it would be tasty used in here! Do you mind if I link back to your recipe when I get to cooking them?