Saturday, January 29, 2011

Heart Garland And Other Things

You would think from reading here that I love Valentine's Day. Not really. I like it for the excuse of using hearts everywhere, eating candy, and the kids of course. I'd much rather get a treat from my husband on any other day out of the blue.

Here we go with some more hearts and a few other elements.

Pretty paper and grocery sack

jute

and red berries make up a new mantle.

Oh, and some new old books.

1. I made a heart garland. Hearts of scrapbook paper and grocery sack hot glued to jute worked just perfect.

2. I climbed a barbed wire fence to get to some red berries that I had to have. I love natural elements in decor and dress. My thought was, if I sprayed them with a thick layer of clear gloss the berries would be much less likely to fall off their branch. I was right! Now, I hope none of the neighbors saw me climbing the fence with trimmers and my camera.

3. New old books from the GoodWill. The original thought was to rip off the covers so that my stack of books would look much like the Pottery Barn book bundles. I found such great books I couldn't make myself rip off the covers. So, I just bundled them together with jute.

My hearts are all lit up with sunshine here.

The battery operated lights that I love are behind the books and berries. At night they glow. I have a hard time getting a good photo of my entire mantle for some reason. HERE is an older one, in case you were interested!

Click on the photos for better views.

I will be hanging out at all my favorite places.
Share

10 comments:

Jodi said...

Very Pretty, I love the little hearts! I like the books with the covers on them, the red one looks nice w/ the berries on the mantel.

demandablog said...

Aw, gorgeous! I love it. Those books look so cute. :)

aquariann said...

How lovely! Your mantle looks magical.

Btw, I'm stopping by from Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special and hope you'll come join my Winter Blog Hop, too.

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

That is so pretty!! You did an amazing job!! :) Love those books!!! :)

Regina @ Chalk In My Pocket said...

I totally love that garland - the paper bags were a fantastic idea. I need to get myself and heart punch!

Jayna Rae said...

All so very very cute! I hear you on the V-Day. I actually don't mind it, but it's really no big deal wither way. I just like an excuse to decorate. Give me an occasion and I will start a planning.

Kara E. said...

Pretty! Very creative garland! Your mantle looks very cozy!

Mama Peck said...

Very cute mantle! And, I love it that you didn't tear the covers off the books- I have a passion for reading and it just sort of hurts my heart to see books treated that way. Weird, I know. :)

FinsFan said...

This is fantastic !!! It looks terrific and fun : )

VintageSkye said...

Simple, yet stunning! I like!