Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Burlap Wreath

This another project that has been on my to-do list for awhile now.

Burlap wreath.
I have no idea who came up with this idea but it's right up my alley.

My Grandma taught me a long time ago how to pull a thread to give yourself a guide to cut along. That is, sadly, one of the only things I retained from those sewing lessons. Once I pulled threads at 5 inch increments I went to cutting strips. So I ended up with several 5 inch wide x 2 yard long strips.

I destroyed 2 hangers with a good pair of wire cutters. I cut off the hooks then shaped the two pieces of wire into a circle as best I could. To hold it together while I strung on my burlap I just taped two ends together.

String on 5 inch strips of burlap, back and forth, back and forth.


Once I had all the burlap on I made hooks with the ends of the hangers. Hooked them into each other at both ends. Remember the ends I taped together temporarily? I removed the tape and hooked those ends together as well. That holds my wreath together.

She's a little plain right now. I still have my thinking cap on. Any embellishment ideas?

If I did it again I would not make my strips as wide. I was thinking I wanted a big chunky wreath but the wide strips aren't necessary for that to happen.


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialUndertheTableandDreaming
Share

20 comments:

Jodi said...

I love these wreaths too, I have been wanting to try one. Easy to decorate too. :)

Jodi

Pamela said...

I don't have any ideas, but I can't wait to read those who do. I'm starting to love the Burlap. When everyone first started using it I wasn't sure I did. It's growing on me. It looks great on your door.

dnicolle said...

I love your new wreath, and I think chunky is nice. It'd be fun to embelish it according to the season, maybe a nice floppy light pink satin bow for Valentine's Day? I'm sure what ever you add will be lovely. Visiting from www.lifeisaparty.ca

Heather said...

Love it!

Heather @ The Other White House

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

What a cute idea! I love anything with burlap. Maybe a cute fabric rosette pinned on a corner for a pop of color (see them all over blogland) :)

Tks for sharing!

Jenna said...

Very, very pretty!! I love how they are twisted around! As far as embellishment? Something bold & blingy :)

Jenna @ SAS Interiors - Simple. Affordable. Stylish. said...

Love your Burlap Wreath! So creative. I don't think it needs any embellishing...Less Is More! Great job ;)
Please stop over and check out my Interior Design & Decor website, SAS Interiors @ www.sasinteriors.blogspot.com
Become a follower and Be Inspired!

~Jenna, SAS Interiors

Liz said...

This is great! I love it, but I have one question--where do you buy burlap? Do they have it at the fabric store? I never see it at mine, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Is it expensive? I see so many crafts with it lately. Thanks!

Simply Bungalow said...

Love the wreath. So cute!
~Heidi

Nicole said...

I love it! Burlap is all over the place and I really love the look of it! I've seen a couple of wreaths that have something hanging in the middle circle, just an idea. Thanks for sharing!! Visiting from Tatertots & Jello!

amyg @ My 3 Monsters said...

Really cute! I can't wait to see what you do with it! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!

Holly said...

There's something really charming and timeless about burlap. What a neat project!

Meg said...

Classic! Cute and simple, I love it. Great job!

I hope you can join my "our nest" sign giveaway going on now! Ends tonight. http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-with-shinar-mountain-designs.html

Rachel Beal said...

I just made two last weekend, so easy and I love them!! I have one on my front door with a red polkadot bow, and in my kitchen with a black pattern bow!

Becky said...

Very cute! I am going to make one of these!

Peters said...

That's so cute. I just bought some burlap in different colors. I think I will try this soon. I am your newest follower. Thansk for sharing. Jenny at www.thepetersporch.blogspot.com

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That ribbon candy ruffle is so pretty, what a great take on the burlap wreath! Thanks so much for sharing the details, I'll be linking.

abeachcottage said...

Simple yet very very cute. Great job!

Classy Clutter said...

I made this one back last September for Halloween!

I love burlap!

http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2010/09/burlap-halloween-wreath-make-this-for-5.html

xoxo, Mallory @ Classy Clutter

camilla said...

I have a bunch of burlap that I was trying to come up with an idea to use it up. This is perfect. love it!