Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Paper Hearts

I have been reluctant to take down my paper ornaments , I love them. So I made these.....

Paper hearts.

Get out your:

Valentine looking paper
eyelets and eyelet tool
ruler and scissors or your straight edge trimmer/cutter
fishing line

Here is a photo of the eyelets and the tool needed.

You will cut 1" strips of your paper. 5 strips total.
1 - 3 1/2" strip
2 - 8 1/2" strips
2 - 10" strips

1. Punch holes in each end of the strips. In order to get them all in the same place I punched one hole then lined up the next strip punched another hole and so on.

2. Grab your eyelets and your tool. In the center(between the shortest strip and the longest) I looped my fishing line around the eyelet before putting it together. That is the best way to hang your hearts straight. It will go like this:

8 1/2" strip
10" strip
3 1/2" strip
fishing line looped around the eyelet(secure temporarily with tape)
10" strip
8 1/2" strip
washer(second piece of eyelet)

3. Whack it together.

4. Spin the shortest strip opposite the other strips after you take off the tape that was holding the fishing line temporarily.

5. Bring your other strips around to the the bottom holes you punched in the shortest strip. It's looking like a heart now. If not, reevaluate. Try again.

6. Whack in an eyelet.

I ink the edges.

7. Hang them up.

8. Stand back and admire your craft-tastic abilities.

Here are my hearts hanging at my desk. Right over my shoulder, they twist around when the heat comes on. *sigh*

Amendment: My little ones have been making these using staples at each end instead of the eyelet. Much more kid friendly for them. We have hearts all over our house now.

I'll be linking HERE.

Fine Craft Guild


Shauna {SK Studios} said...

saw you on Someday Crafts- super cute hearts!!! I made similar ones once, but I'm totally loving your touch of patterned paper, doubled up inside and outside hearts, and the eyelets are perfect!! said...

Oooh that's a great idea! I have so much pretty Valentine's scrapbook paper I want to use- this is perfect! Thanks for the how-to, I'll be linking.

southernscraps said...

Cute, cute, cute!

LocalFunForKids said...

They are super cute. I {heart} hearts.

Cory said...

that's super cute. It makes me want to go out and buy some eylets

Mel the Crafty Scientist said...

Saw your post on the Trendy Treehouse link party and love this idea! So cute and yet inexpensive (and I don't have to teach myself 9 types of origami) - awesome!

Leasa said...

Very cute.

Cyndi said...

Wicked cute! I love hanging things from the light above our kitchen table and I am always looking for a new ideas-thanks for sharing!

Anke said...

Gorgeous and so simple, thanks for sharing! I'll make some for my classroom :D

GretchenP said...

ooohhh! i HEART these!! :) thanks for the comment!! :) great site!

Noblekatt said...

I love the simplicity of these! you just inspired me to morph these into butterflies, decorations for my daughters party!!! I am going to attach two sets at their points, then perhaps add a chenille stem in the middle....voila! Easy and beautiful butterfly ornaments! if/when I make them I will post a pic, thanks for the inspiration!
Jenn Post

Michael - Innkeeper said...

these are so amazing. love them.

i've always wanted a grommet kit! maybe this will be my excuse to get one!

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk said...

That's such a sweet and simple way to decorate for Valentine's Day without going overboard. I MUST make some and hang them around my mirror in the dining room to make it look like even more :)

Thanks so much for sharing.
*bookmarked* :)

Wnderlnd said...

This is such a cute idea! I did something similar for Christmas this year.

We are TOTALLY making these with our Daisy Girl Scouts for their Valentine Day art project. and I have a TON of scrapbooking paper and brads (although brads might allow them to slip) that will make it perfect for a group of 20 girls!
THANKS for the idea and tutorial.

Jessica Rae said...

This is such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica @

Real Life Reslers said...

OK i'm in love with this! Actually I'd probably be in love with any tutorial that had the words "whack it together" included...just sounds like a great stress reliver hehehe

My first time at your blog and I'm loving it! I'm your newest follower!

GiGi's Darlings said...

I am so going to steal this idea and use it with my third graders in poetry class when we write our 'Honey I Love' poems next month. I'm going to let them use staples too. Thanks!

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

You've been featured because you rock and I love your project!!

Hookin' Up with HoH #33

Stop by and grab a button! You deserve it. ;)

~Allison @ House of Hepworths

Michelle said...

Thank you for the inspiration and easy to follow instructions! I made a few hearts and turned them into a garland!

Holly said...

So darn sweet. I love how you made these. They look perfect!

kaci j said...

i saw these on thewholeenchelleada, and cannot WAIT to make these for my february craft night! your mobile inspired me to do these, plus lil' paper ball ornaments, to hang from my ceiling. thanks for the easy step by steps and fun visuals! YAY valentine's day :)