Saturday, February 26, 2011

Chair Cushion aka My Throne

I used to sit on this.....

while sitting at my computer. It had a nice hole in it and the chair ties had been ripped off.

Now I sit on .....

this burlap and ruffle cushion.

I ripped that old cushion to shreds. Cutting off the cover and ripping it into strips. Reserving the stuffing for later.

Taking my strips and turning them into ruffles was a snap. Run a loose stitch along one edge then pull the top thread. Instant ruffle.

I measured the cushion and cut my burlap accordingly.

Pin right sides together. Is there a right side to burlap? I'm not sure. Your ruffle goes in the middle of those right sides. Sew it up! Once your three sides and part of the fourth(don't forget to leave a stuffing opening!) are sewn flip it right side out and be amazed at your crafti-ness. Stuff it.

My finished cushion is ruffled on three sides. Two chair ties are sewn into the seam on the back side.

Easy peasy.

I reused the stuffing of the old cushion that was pretty flat from my rear sitting on it everyday. I ended up adding some poly-fil to make it more fluffy.

I did the decoration completely backwards. If I would have thought this project out completely the next two steps would have been done before sewing. That's how I roll.
I taped off stripes with masking tape, Painted on brown acrylic paint with a foam brush for my pattern. It took about a minute to do but added so much! Last, I added the french word for throne with sharpie. Yes, this is my throne.

I'll be sharing my new cushion HERE and.....

SAS Interiors



Pamela said...

Just perfect! I love it when I can make things out of what I have. My first kitchen was done in red and white checks and I've thought about doing it again some time.

amy@flexibledreams said...

Super cute! I love the frayed edges of the ties :-)

shopannies said...

love it because it is so homestyle love the checked plaid

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

This is a project I can really appreciate, Jo. You did a great job, I like all of the personality your cushion has now.

By the Bluegrass said...

great new look!

Robin said...

So cute! I would love it if you would share this upcycle over at The T-Shirt Diaries (

LocalFunForKids said...

Everytime I see burlap, I think of you. Smile Monsters & Burlap! Where do you buy it?

Green Door Girl said...

great job!!!! This turned out great and a great use of what you already had!
Thanks for linking up to Saturday Spotlight!