Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pin Cushion Jar

Seamstress I am not. Yet, I still have a need for a pin cushion and a place to keep small sewing related items. Especially since my new found love for felt and embroidery thread.

I had a small canning jar and this fabric stuffed away from a project of the past.

I made a small pattern for my first initial. Then cut that from a cream colored felt.

Pinned my felt "J" to a square of fabric. Making sure that square was large enough to wrap over the lid of the jar with excess.

Stitched it on with black embroidery thread.

I played around with how puffy I wanted the cushion part. Once that was determined I placed my fluff, then wrapped my fabric over it and the lid. Placed the jar ring over that. Fired up the glue gun and glued the fabric to the underside of the lid staying close to the outer edge of the lid.


To polish it off I glued on a circle of black felt to cover the raw edges of the bandanna fabric. Now the inside of the lid is pretty too.

Taaa daaaa

There is my new pin cushion jar.

I did not hot glue the jar ring to the cushion part but I think I will. Just for added ease of taking the lid off.

I'll be linking up to THESE fine blogs.

and don't miss this......


Share

23 comments:

Ashley said...

Very cute, I love the multipurpose of it! Thanks for linking up!

Deana said...

Greetings! I love this idea! I just wanted to stop by to let you know that I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award on my blog, Country By Marriage. I just found you recently, but I love your blog and just wanted to let you know that! You can check out my post and grab the button here if you want:
http://www.countrybymarriage.com/2011/02/versatile-blogger-award.html
Thanks!

Ani said...

That's such a neat idea, easy, cute, and useful. Thanks for sharing!

B. Reddy said...

You can purchase black magnetic sheeting at craft stores. I would hot glue the sheeting to the inside of the lid to hold any small items that you don't want lost in the big jar, eg. a thimble!

Anji* said...

I love your pincushion jar! Pretty and functional :)

Dear Baby said...

oh my goodness this is so simple and brilliant and I will make myself one right away! Perfection!

V said...

This is so cute! I have seen a lot of pincusions in blogland but I love this idea because it is useful for something else as well.

sarah said...

Okay I'm so making one of these! Super cute!

Susan said...

I saw your link over at Tatertots and Jello, and I love this idea! I'm definitely going to make one of these. It will be so much more functional than the "pin cushion" I have now, which consists of part of a sock I stuffed and sewed shut, haha!

abeachcottage said...

:) That is so cute. Very simple, handy and totally adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I want to make one of these with a jumbo sized jar so I can keep my scissors, seam ripper, etc. in there.

Shabby Soul said...

Very cute & functional! These would also make great gifts for college students, newlyweds, etc.

shopannies said...

love this idea very cute the only thing I may do different if I make one is to fill the jar with buttons

Madigan at madiganmade said...

Such a cute and clever idea!! Love this.

AllieMakes! said...

Very cute! LOVE it!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Megan said...

this is a great idea. You have inspired me to make a new pin cushion. I never have one on the same floor I am sewing on.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

I can't wait to make one! Thanks so much for sharing. I found you on Under the Table and Dreaming and am now a follower.

Melanie
youmadethat.blogspot.com

Threeundertwo said...

This is a great idea, and it turned out so cute! I invite you to link up on Fridays to my "Finished for Friday" party. Nice to find your blog.

heatherowe said...

Thank you for the great idea. I just made one and plan on making more. I never have enough storage for all my little bits and pieces.

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

so cute! I love the j on top! :)

gail

Kimmie @ Sugar and Dots said...

This is featured on What I Whipped Up Wednesday right now! xo

Sew Frenzi said...

Love it!! I will be making one of these very soon! Thanks for sharing.

blikittay said...

I think this is such a cute and simple idea. Though, when I made mine, the lid is too fat that the threads don't let me tighten the lid on properly. Any suggestions?