Saturday, February 5, 2011

We Go Together.....

I'm on a faux kick.

I turned plastic forks and spoons into hammered or flattened silverware.

Spray a plastic fork and spoon with......

my favorite spray paint of the moment.

Once the paint is dry scuff it up with medium sandpaper. Rub on black paint with a damp paper towel. Sounding much like my faux silver hearts tute, right?

Now the fun part........

We are going to give our plastic ware that hammered look with fire.

Using a candle in a draft free area start passing your fork/spoon over the flame. Keep it moving, passing it over several times. Working on one area at a time, I started with the tines and worked my way down the handle.

Once nice and heated place your soft utensil on a hard surface(chinet plate in my case) and flatten with your damp paper towel that you used a few minutes ago.

The paint is going to soften and pick up some texture from the paper towel.

If needed, heat and flatten your utensil until your happy. Thinking about hammered silverware, it's not completely flat.

I glued my fork & spoon on a background of black and burlap to make a hanging plaque.

A "we go together like a spoon & fork" plaque!

The silver ware is so light it would be perfect on the front of an over sized Valentine card. How much more budget friendly can you get? Add a goofy sweet saying on the inside and you have yourself a Valentine that took a little more thought and effort than running to Walgreens.

I'll be linking up at these fine blogs.



Share

17 comments:

Mary said...

How cute! I never would have thought of making those that way!

Lorie said...

Very cute!! I need something fun in my kitchen! Thanks for sharing it!

Zerique said...

very cute idea!

That Crazy Mom Over There said...

WOW! I have tons of plastic silverware I can now go nuts on! LOL Thanks for the idea. :)

TheCraftInMe said...

How cool is that, I would have never guessed they were plastic underneath, thanks for sharing!

mpharmon723@yahoo.com said...

I never would have thought of this either....very interesting...I wonder how something like this could be displayed at Mel's Cabin...hummm...thanks, join me at the cabin for a cup of coffee and put your feet up and visit a while.

Liberty said...

Love, love, LOVE it!! Thanks soooo much for sharing! :))

Alexis said...

Simple and pretty...perfect!

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Brilliant and a perfect use for the mis-matched leftover party ware that always seems to accumulate. Never would have thought of this!

Dani @ Drops in the Bucket said...

'bookmarked' right away!

-dani

Kathy said...

How very clever and completely adorable! The burlap is a cute touch.

Christina @ The Tattered Tag said...

Nifty, neat & clever and so unique. Please consider sharing your creativity with my followers,link to my blog bash K.I.S.S. Happy to be a new follower. :)

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Never in a million years would I have guessed that those are plastic!! Budget friendly, indded.

The Treasurista said...

Hop on over to the Party! Would love for you to link-up @

http://thetreasurista.blogspot.com/p/treasuristas-thursday-treasures-come.html

The Treasurista
Finding and Creating FUN things...

Patti said...

very clever...looks like something you would buy in Anthropologie!!

Lauren @ YoungNester said...

Great tutorial! Love the idea! I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link parties!

www.youngnester.blogspot.com

I'm your newest follower :)

Nanniepannie said...

You've inspired me...I'm getting an idea!