Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Boys Room On A Budget

I knew I wanted to do something with the boy's room but needed a jumping off point. I'm visual that way, I have to lay my eyes on some sort of inspiration most of the time.

This time it was a rug. I knew I wanted earthy colors so this rug was the beginning. Rug(WalMart) - just a little under $20. I dug through the paint mishap section and found an oops can of brown that was marked down. Brown paint(WalMart) - $3

At this point I still didn't know where I was going with this rug and paint but I liked it.

This is what happened.....

I painted the wall half way up with the brown then asked my husband for suggestions. I was thinking a chair rail of sorts. His idea was a fence. Genius. The boys requested the tree. Green paint(Lowe's) - $7.

I made a chalk line so my fence pickets would be even heights. Then used a ruler to measure off 6" wide pickets and painted the rounded off tops. Using black and a lighter brown paint with a small brush I made lines and a few knot holes to complete the fence. The tree was free handed(painted), I just went for it.

Painting done, on to the fabric portion of the make over.

While at Lowe's I picked up a couple of drop cloths,

which are a super decorating item. Drop cloth 6' x 9'(Lowe's) - $9 each

The boy's beds are bunk beds they wanted un-bunked. They have slats for the mattress to rest on so a traditional bed skirt will not work. A bed without a bed skirt means wasted storage space!

I ripped my drop cloth into 13" strips on the outer edges.

Stapled the strips to the inner frame of the bed. This was a no sew project since the finished edges of the drop cloth was the bottom of the skirt. That leaves me with a good portion of my drop cloth left over for another project in the room.

Easy bed skirt means lots of storage for toys, books, or dirty socks. I left a slit there for an opening for them to slide things under.

I still have drop cloth left.

I made pocket pillows using this tutorial. It's called the 5 minute cushion. For an amateur seamstress, like me, it was more like an afternoon cushion. That includes one big mess up, ripping out the seams, 400 interruptions, and correcting the mistake. Once I made one, I was able to make the second in 5 minutes. Pillow inserts(WalMart) - $2.88 each.

I painted on the stripes.


I had all the painting accessories I needed on hand. The only other expense was the new green blankets(WalMart) - $19 each.

I still have drop cloth left that I will be using for one more project and train table make over. Stay tuned!

I'll be linking HERE.

Stuff and NonsensePhotobucket


demandablog said...

I love it! :) Especially the fence. What a great room.

Meg said...

Oh my gosh, I love this room! So many great projects to make it look fabulous! Great job! I just did some canvas projects...I love the idea of using it for a bedskirt! Isn't it great that you get so much canvas for so little $$?
I'm having TWO giveaways right now (one of them a canvas table runner, ha!)--love it if you could check them out!

Damsel said...

What a great room!!! That's so fun!

Kelley said...

You did a great job! I love the fence and I think the drop cloth pillow and ruffle are great ideas!

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

Love it!! Drop cloth is the best. I bet the boys love their new space!

Fallan said...

I love the fence & tree! Very cute!
Saw this one Someday Crafts!

Jamie Rubeis said...

Wow! You did a fabulous job. Super cute! The tree is awesome.

shopannies said...

love it you are very creative and love that it was all done on budget

Humble Homemaker said...

You did lovely job. The trees are so cute and I love the bed skirts. Thanks for sharing. :)
Humble Homemaking

Lisa said...

How cute! This is such a great room and I love what you did!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Fantastic! Gosh it looks just great.

the cape on the corner said...

how adorable is that fence! what a great idea, and great use of dropcloths. i think i'm going to use them for pillow cover backing, too!

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

love the room makeover.
I like the fence-- and the drop cloth pillows with painted stripes, great idea.
I bet your little smile monsters love it too!

alison said...

great job...canvas drop cloths are by new favorite fabric...i would love for you to link this on my fridays unfolded @


stuff and nonsense

Jenna, SAS Interiors said...

Hi Jo-
I can't wait for you to stop by Saturday Spotlight to showcase your amazing projects from the week! (There may have been an issue with the button, so you may need to grab it again, thanks!)

Jenna, SAS Interiors

Sweet Moments in Thyme said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love how you did everything on a budget! I'm a BIG FAN of dropcloths lately and recently bought some to experiment with. I was reading that the Home Depot ones do not have seams in there, as the Lowe's ones do. I actually got mine from Walmart, and I don't think mine had seams. Hopefully I will come up with a use for them soon. Again, great job!

Alaina said...

Awesome!! I know my boys would love it!

Jamie said...

What an awesome room. I love the bed skirt. Don't forget to join me for More The Merrier Monday and link up all of your great projects.

Donna @ said...

great project! love that your boys wanted the tree! kids love to be involved. it looks super!
come over and see me, I have a cute boy sandbox that you might like...


AllieMakes! said...

It looks SO good! GREAT job!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie last week! I can't wait to see what you have for this week! said...

So cute! You did a super job,

Holly said...

Great transformation. The fence behind the beds is genius!