Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kindle Jacket

My husband surprised me with a Kindle. Very out of character for him, every now and then he throws me for a loop. A good loop.

Guess what I did right after I took it out of the box?! Yep, I measured it so I could make a Kindle jacket.

1. I measured and deduced, 9x12 sheets of felt would work perfect for a book like jacket.

2. I traced my Kindle on paper to make the top and bottom pocket patterns that would hold it in place. Added a quarter inch to the traced shape to allow for stitching. Cut those out of felt in a coordinating color.

3. Place and stitch on the pockets with embroidery floss.

4. Stitch a button on the top(or outer) sheet of felt, front side. This way the stitching on the other side will be hidden. Now is the time to add anything you want to the front. Again, this way, any stitching will be hidden on the inside layer. Now to deal with the elastic that will hook around your button.......

Stitch on a hair elastic with the machine and cover the ugly-ness(back side of the stitch) with a small piece of felt. Elastic band goes on the top sheet of felt, back side.

Time to put it together.

5. I fused the 2 9x12 felt sheets together with fusible web. It isn't neccessary to fuse them but it keeps your felt from slipping and sliding while you are stitching.

Get to stitching all the way around with embroidery floss and a good size needle.

Now, you can read without taking it out of it's jacket. Perfect for throwing in your bag and reading when you have to wait in car pool line.

I prettied up the front of mine with red felt flowers that remind me of poppies. Flower tute HERE.

I'll be sharing my Kindle jacket HERE.
Share

18 comments:

kelli said...

ca-UTE!

Jennifer said...

Your cute felt Kindle cover is way better than my green store bought fake leather one! I wonder if I could make something similar for my laptop though, just for carrying around, that would protect it a little.

I'm visiting from WFMW. Today I posted about monthly menu planning/

Katie P said...

Super cute! I just love the bright red poppies and how they stand out against the grey. If I had a kindle, I would totally want one of these to go with it!

Amber @ Life, Love, Green said...

This is a great idea! I can't wait to make one for my mother in law, I will let you know when its complete!

Found you from Eisy Morgan.

Amber

Amber @ Life, Love, Green said...

This is a great idea! I can't wait to make one for my mother in law, I will let you know when its complete!

Found you from Eisy Morgan.

Amber

Cyle Augusta said...

This is supe cute, I especially love your tutorial on how to make buttons- thanks! That is what brought me to your little corner of the web:)

Wander said...

ADORABALLS!!!!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Too cute! I am working on a Kindle cover myself right now. There are so many great ones out there. Yours turned out great!
http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

-Julie said...

Cute cute cute! I may have to try it!

Jamie Rubeis said...

Super cute! I need something like that for my iPad!

Brianna! said...

first, I need a Kindle

Or a NOOK:)

Then I can make one of these OH SO ADORABLE little jackets!!

thanks for sharing makes me REALLY want to make a PURCHASE;) wink wink


xoxo
bB

AllieMakes! said...

How sweet! Love it!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Lori said...

SUPER adorable!!! :) That is way cuter than the store bought Kindle covers. Thanks so much for linking up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. I hope you stop by again soon :)

~Lori @ Paisley Passions

Lauren @ YoungNester said...

Oh my goodness! Love love love this! And I need to make one for mine!

Marianne said...

I love this. I got the Sony e reader from my mom a couple of days ago and I need to make a jacket for it. Saving this to use as reference and to credit when I am done with mine. Thank you for sharing at somewhat simple

Melissa said...

This is just the cutest thing I've seen! Makes me wish I had a kindle. Gives me ideas to do with felt, though. Thank you, you have inspired me!

www.meldreamsoften.blogspot.com

Marianne said...

I will be featuring your kindle jacket on my blog piecesofmymind-marianne.blogspot.com

Marianne said...

Just finished my "jacket" for my Sony E-reader and I love it. I will be posting about it and linking back up to your post on Monday.