Friday, March 18, 2011

A Little Help For The Birds

These nest material hangers for the birds are all over the place. We tried our hand at them this week.

Bits of string, ribbon, burlap, jute, and various other nesting items

for the birds to come and choose for their nest making.

We didn't have anything around to use as a basket to hold our nesting material. I have seen onion bags or berry baskets used.

So we made some.

We measured 7-8" strands of jute, about 20 of them.

Taped down the ends and wove one side of our basket. We held the weave together with little dots of hot glue. Then we did it again so we had two sides for a woven jute pouch of sorts.

My 7 year old had fun. The 4 year old lost interest very quickly and moved on to other 4 year old things.

This is mine. My two sides are held together with strips of felt that I folded over the edges. The top is left open for refilling with all sorts of nest making goodies.

Here is my helper's. He wove his two sides together with a long piece of ribbon that also serves as the hanger. The top of this one was left open for re-stuffing too.

Chalk In My Pocket has a great post about their nest material adventure.

I'll be sharing HERE.
Share

10 comments:

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

Really cool! We need to make one!

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

That is so cool!!!
I'd love to have you link it up at my For the Kids Friday Link Party!

Stop by and visit :)
http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said...

What an absolutely fun and adorable idea :o)

LocalFunForKids said...

Jo - those look great! I love the orange.

Cool stuff art gallery said...

I just love this craft project idea. Very creative! We have mini horses and they shed there fur out side. The birds come and pick up the hair off the ground for there nests. :-)

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

WOW I love this!!
How fun is that!
What a fun idea!

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

I love this idea and would like to do an entire featured post on it and your blog. If you are interested you can read this post to find out how:

http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/2011/03/want-to-be-featured-on-my-delicious.html

Cheers,
Jenn

Judy Bagwell said...

Great idea! This would be a great project for scouts to make.

Rachel said...

That is so neat!!! I have been putting materials out for the birds for the past 2 years and my yard always looks like it's filled with trash! Maybe next year I will try this to keep things together!! Thank you for such a great idea!

Amanda said...

I've put together a round up of great outdoor bird and squirrel crafts on Craft Gossip today and included your post. :) You can see it here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/6-crafts-for-the-birds-and-squirrels/

If you would like a Craft Gossip badge showing you've been featured, you can grab one here :)
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/