Sunday, June 26, 2011

Caramel Vanilla Popsicles

This popsicle of the week is a 4th of July tribute.
Red, white, & blue.....

or in this case pink, cream, & baby blue.  We could just have a baby shower.  But not for me. 

Caramel Vanilla Popsicles 

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
fresh lemon juice
2 cups milk 
2 teaspoons vanilla
patience

I'm going to be honest here, this popsicle was a little more work than I like to put out for a popsicle.  If you are a whiz in the kitchen then I'm sure this is a snap and your probably giggling at me.  It's alright.  

If you have never caramelized sugar then I suggest you watch a video or four.

1.  In a heavy bottom pan over low heat add your sugar, water, and a squeeze of lemon juice.  Follow the directions in the video link above.  The first batch I burned and it tasted absolutely terrible.  The second batch crystallized.  By this point I was determined I was getting this caramelizing thing down.  The third time was a charm.  

2.  While you are working on the caramelizing process put your 2 cups of milk in a good sized pan over very low heat.  Just warm it up. 

3.  Once you have your caramel ready slowly add it to the milk.  Careful, that caramel will be crazy hot.  The caramel will harden some due to the change in temperature.  Turn up the heat a little and whisk until the caramel dissolves completely into the milk

4.  Add in the two teaspoons vanilla, whisk well.

5.  Pour into molds and freeze. 

This makes a very sweet bite-able popsicle that tastes every bit like caramel and vanilla.  I will offer up a more "healthy" popsicle next week, I promise. 

I'm wondering if you couldn't just dissolve a prepared caramel(like a dessert topping) into warm milk.  Add the vanilla and arrive at a similar result with half the work.  I did like the challenge of learning something new in the kitchen.  Though next time, half the work sounds like a winner.  Oh, and maybe I'll add some bananas.  Banana caramel vanilla popsicles sounds like a hit! 




If you have a super popsicle recipe please share it by clicking the One Cool Summer up there. Of course, I'll be sharing these cool treats HERE, & at Skip To My Lou.


Share

1 comment:

Marjorie said...

ooh these are lovely! i bet they taste good too :)