Wednesday, June 1, 2011

King Dad T-Shirt

Father's Day is right around the corner.

We made this King Dad shirt for the occasion. Around here King Dad's favorite colors are black and orange. No, he doesn't have a year around love for Halloween. It started with his love for Oklahoma State, where he and his father both attended college. They are his company colors and yep, our school colors too. So the black and orange is absolutely perfect here.

You will need:
A nice quality 1oo% cotton t-shirt
A spray bottle
Freezer paper(not wax paper!)
From around the house, an iron, scissors, and somewhere to hang your shirt outside.

By now you have all heard of or tried the freezer paper stencil trick, right? If not, HERE is a pretty good tutorial.

1. Use that freezer paper method but in reverse. Meaning you want the color on the outside of your letters not the traditional inside. I hope that makes sense. Use the crappy picture from my laundry room above for reference.

2. Put something between your shirt layers to protect the back. You want a super cool bleach spatter on the front of your shirt only. I pinned a plastic grocery sack to the inside of the t-shirt. Worked like a champ.

3. Hang your shirt outside. Pretty important step since you are spraying bleach.

4. I filled a spray bottle with bleach and water. I eye-balled it like I do everything but roughly half bleach/half water.

5. Spray away. Check it real close. Spray some more.

It really doesn't take much.

The bleach will go to work pretty quick.

The longer you leave the bleach solution the more "bleached" your shirt will become.

6. Once you have reached the desired color rinse with cold water. Here we removed the crown stencil because we were eager to see the results. Take them off before or after rinsing, I found it doesn't matter.

7. After a good rinsing with cold water run it through a full cycle in the washing machine.

8. Stand back and admire your craft-tastic-ness.

Here is an article in Threads magazine that has a few pointers.

I'll be sharing my King Dad t-shirt HERE.


Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

Awesome! We are making Father's Day shirts next week. I love this idea! I may have to use this one for Papa this year!

I'd love to have you come share this at my For the Kids link party!! Come see what we're up to over at Sun Scholars! And... thanks again for hosting a fun link party!

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

I saw this yesterday and LOVE it! My husband loves that look of bleach on his t-shirts! And the kids will love making it! Thanks for linking to Thrifty Thursday! I'm going to spotlight it today!

Ashley said...

this is a way cool shirt, im sure he will totally love it

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

So cool! I might have to use this idea another time. My Dad isn't into the whole bleached shirt look. Thanks for sharing.

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

Love the idea! I just had to share on Facebook. thanks for linking up to Amaze Me Monday blog party :D

shopannies said...

what a super cute idea yes dad should feel like the king for at least one day