Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Salt Art


It's hot outside.  We have reached the triple digits of summer.  The portion of summer that means if you aren't floating in a pool somewhere you are under the cool air in the house. 

Salt art kept us busy today. 

1.  Dump a good amount of salt and a few drops of food color in a zip lock bag.  Make sure it is sealed up tight, shake it all about.  Now you have colored salt.

2.  Glue.  We made our own with corn starch and water using a recipe we found on the net.  Of course.
Tried and True Glue 
3 Tablespoons corn starch
4 Tablespoons water
2 cups boiling water
Pour the water starch mixture into the boiling water.  Boil until it becomes clear and thick.  

This glue worked very well for this particular project.  It makes a gel like glue that was easy to brush on.  I don't know how it would work in other situations.  I can not attest to how tried and true it really is.  

3.  Decide what you are covering in salt.  We had some left over foam board from our fridge frames.  We decided on a whale theme based on a few of the scrap shapes.


Here comes the fun part.

4.  Brush on glue.
5.  Sprinkle on the salt.
6.  Shake off the excess.  We used a paper plate to catch the excess and dump back into the bags.

It's messy.  I'm pretty sure I will still be cleaning up salt this time next week.  

7.  Once happy with your masterpiece, lay it in the sun for a bit to dry.

8.  I sprayed ours with a clear sealer to keep the salt in it's place. 

Salty whales with button eyes.

Beautiful.

I'll be sharing our salty fun HERE.

Share

5 comments:

Justine said...

I love this idea! The art came out great!

ಪುಟ್ಟಿಯ ಅಮ್ಮ/Putti Amma said...

Looks beautiful !! Love the idea.

Claire M. said...

Salt art is really amazing!! I want to try one soon ;)

Miss Kitty said...

Thank you SO much for sharing this project and the recipe for home made glue. I have something I am going to be working on later on today and I think I will try your techniques on it. Your photographs are wonderful! My favorite one is the the "blue salty hands".

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, that's the cutest! I love this idea!

I run Fun Family Crafts, a site similar in nature to Craftgawker and Spotlight, but different in that it's a library of craft tutorials geared only at kids. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/