Saturday, August 20, 2011

Poptarts

A week or so ago we tried our hand at homemade poptarts.

This was our result.....


We started out with a basic pie crust.

Pie Crust
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar 
2/3 cup shortening
6 tablespoons of ice water
1.  Mix flour, sugar and salt.  
2.  Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter.
3.  Add ice water one tablespoon at a time using only enough to form a ball of dough.
4.  Roll onto a lightly floured surface, cut into rectangles as big as you want your poptarts.

We filled some with our favorite blackberry jam and few others with a mixture of brown sugar, and cinnamon.  I didn't measure here, just went on taste.  Placed our dough rectangles on a parchment lined cookie sheet and filled.  Placed on a lid.  Crimped the edges with a fork and pricked the tops.

Baked in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.



Schmeared with butter they were pretty tasty.  

What I learned:

1.  Making poptarts at home isn't hard but a little time consuming.  Probably best for a lazy day.
2.  Next time I would try a different crust recipe like THIS one from Smitten Kitchen.  I would also apply some of the great tips included in that post as well.  Had I looked up homemade poptarts before diving in I would have known these tips.  Instead I just went with winging it like everything else I do, then figure out what I did wrong!
3.  Homemade poptarts are so much better than store bought card board-ish poptarts.  At least with this version you know what is in them!

PS. Sharing HERE.
Share

1 comment:

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

I stumbled you and put this on my FB page (and pinned it!)....what an amazing idea! :)