A week or so ago we tried our hand at homemade poptarts.
This was our result.....
We started out with a basic pie crust.
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup shortening
6 tablespoons of ice water
1. Mix flour, sugar and salt.
2. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter.
3. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time using only enough to form a ball of dough.
4. Roll onto a lightly floured surface, cut into rectangles as big as you want your poptarts.
We filled some with our favorite blackberry jam and few others with a mixture of brown sugar, and cinnamon. I didn't measure here, just went on taste. Placed our dough rectangles on a parchment lined cookie sheet and filled. Placed on a lid. Crimped the edges with a fork and pricked the tops.
Baked in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Schmeared with butter they were pretty tasty.
What I learned:
1. Making poptarts at home isn't hard but a little time consuming. Probably best for a lazy day.
2. Next time I would try a different crust recipe like THIS one from Smitten Kitchen. I would also apply some of the great tips included in that post as well. Had I looked up homemade poptarts before diving in I would have known these tips. Instead I just went with winging it like everything else I do, then figure out what I did wrong!
3. Homemade poptarts are so much better than store bought card board-ish poptarts. At least with this version you know what is in them!
PS. Sharing HERE.